Reader: I love Irish potatoes but it is a challenge storing them as they get spoil easily. Please advise.
If you are buying potatoes and do not have a place to store them under ideal conditions, please purchase only the quantity you will consume in a few weeks or days.
I also had a challenge storing them because I love using them for fries but since I discover the best ways, its been safe. So prepare the location in advance before buying.
Steps to Store healthy Potatoes
- Lay your potatoes in a tray or table in a cool, dark place.
- Let the potatoes sit this way undisturbed. After about two weeks, the potato skins will be thickened and dry.
- Raise the temperature to 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit ,slightly higher than normal for storage.
- Don’t store cut potatoes in the open. Once you cut potatoes,cook them as soon as possible. The exposed flesh of the potato doesn’t keep well compared to the tougher skin.
- Don’t store potatoes near fruit. Many fruits, like apples, pears, and bananas, excrete a chemical called ethylene. This gas encourages ripening — you may have noticed that your fruits tend to ripen faster when you keep them next to each other. so store your fruit elsewhere.