Efo-riro is a special Yoruba delicacy made with assorted parts of meat, dried fish, fresh crab claws and fried snails in combinations with green vegetables such as soko leaves or Tete.
1 kg/2 Ib fresh Soko or Tete (washed & blanche)
500g/1lb assorted part of meat
225g/8oz stock fish
1 medium smoked fish
225g cooked crab claws
4snails (washed with lemon juice)
225g grounded crayfish
225g fresh pepper
500g/1lb fresh tomatoes
1 small tin tomatoes puree
1 large or 2meduim onions
150ml palm oil
1 teaspoon Iru
Salt to taste
- Wash your stock of meat and boil with little water in a large pot.
- Seasoned with salt, Maggi, ground pepper and boil until tender.
- Add the stockfish, smoked fish, snail, crab claws and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and place in a clean bowl.
- Wipe the pot and place pot on fire to heat up the oil.
- Add the ground tomatoes, onions and chillies to the hot oil and fry for 10/15 minutes while you stir frequently.
- Add tomatoes puree and cook for 5 minutes until it looks done.
- Add the cooked meats, crayfish, allow simmering for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the blanched tete or soko, cook for 5 minutes, taste for seasoning and serve with pounded yam or grinded yam powder called “Amala” in West Africa.