Preparation time: 30 minutes | Serves 8 waffles
This waffle recipe is prepared with mashed sweet potatoes which are very healthy and nutritious, the cooking method is quite simple it require no more beating of mixture except egg whites. You only have to mix all the ingredients according to the instructions given below and then pour the batter in waffle iron to make waffles. In this waffle recipe orange butter sauce is used for topping, most of the times instead of orange sauce honey is also used as topping.
250 grams all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cream of tartar
3 large eggs (separated)
1 1/2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter (melted)
2 tablespoons orange zest
For Orange Butter Sauce:
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter
Preparation of Waffle:
1. Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl including flour, salt, baking powder and cream of tartar and set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl combine egg yolks, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, melted butter and orange zest.
3. Combine both the mixture of flour and sweet potatoes.
4. Beat egg whites separately until stiff peaks would form and then fold it in the above potato mixture, a thick batter would form.
5. Heat waffle iron with little oil and the pour the batter onto the waffle iron. Cook until become golden brown in color.
Preparation of Orange Butter Sauce:
1. Melt butter in a sauce pan and then add rest of the ingredients mentioned for sauce. Cook until the sauce reduce to almost half and starts to thick. If you don’t have enough time then after the sauce starts bubbling add cornstarch to make it thick.
2. After that remove the pan from heat and cool it to room temperature.